Thursday, November 29, 2012

Let The Games Begin: Final Experiment Plan

Besides the fact that I haven't had a spare second to go to the mall over the past two weeks to begin conducting my research, I realized that my experiment still had some kinks to be worked out, anyway. I was originally planning on going to a designer store like Coach or Louis Vuitton, along with bigger, upscale retail stores with snooty reputations, like Nordstrom and Lord and Taylor. After deliberating over it, I'm going to nix my visits to the small designer store because I'm afraid that the employees there might recognize me, considering that I'll be making three visits to each store. Breaking my cover would ruin the validity of my experiment, so I'm going to stick to conducting my experiment in larger upscale stores. Also, since those stores are bigger, I think it will give me a bigger mix of people to encounter, and it would increase the chances of me witnessing other mall patrons getting profiled by way of social class, as well. Though I still need to determine which day of the week I plan on carrying out my experiment, I want to purposely go on the same day in an effort to get the same mix of employees to encounter with. Although this poses the same threat of them recognizing me, I'm holding out hope that because they're bigger stores, the employees won't recognize my face each time I go in. Besides, it's my clothes that will be doing the talking.

I can't wait to carry this experiment out!

No comments:

Post a Comment