Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Any Excuse to Play Dress Up: Quarter Two Project Research Method

For the topic of social class, I've chosen the sociological research method of naturalistic observation. I feel that the best way for me to attain unadulterated information about my topic is to put myself in the shoes of people from different social classes. I plan on going to Garden State Plaza dressed as a member of the upper class, perhaps wearing all brand name clothes, the middle class, donning my usual mall attire, and another time as a member of the working class or the lower class, perhaps dressing in a worn or dirty outfit. I'll be taking note of the reactions I get from employees, other customers, and people I simply see in passing, if my attire elicits a reaction from them, as well.

A helpful breakdown of social class in America.

Social class is a topic that seems black and white to most people, but the sociological gray areas are what gives the subject depth. Social class isn't about facts and figures; it's something that can be sensed among people everyday. Today's society is so heavily based on physical appearances, we can't help but look at people without inferring what social class they're in. If a woman rolls up wearing Chanel sunglasses and driving a BMW with the top down, I'd assume that she's of the upper class, in contrast to if she rolled up in a rundown car with a sputtering engine, with plain and stained clothing. I never realized how prevalent judging based on social class was before now, and I want to put myself in the shoes of members of each class to get a sense of how it feels to be scrutinized. So judge away, fellow mall patrons, judge away!

No comments:

Post a Comment